Community Owners and Facilitators can set the maximum number of points that a Community Member can earn in a week. Although it is a weekly maximum, it helps to think about this feature as also allowing you to enforce a minimum amount of weekly participation. This feature is designed to discourage students from trying to wait until the end of the semester to earn all their points. It also prevents students from front-loading their participation at the beginning of the semester. Students can always participate as much as they like in any given week, but they can only earn points up to the weekly maximum each week.
Setting the Weekly Maximum:
1. Click on Settings in the left-hand menu.
2. Below Settings, click on Participation.
3. Scroll down to "Weekly Point Limit", and set the weekly maximum point limit in the corresponding field. A good rule-of-thumb is to set the maximum by taking the total number of points each student can earn on Yellowdig for the course, dividing it by the total number of weeks, and then adding an additional 20% to the previous calculation. Here's the formula:
weekly maximum = (total points / # of weeks) + .20(total points / # of weeks)
This provides students some flexibility and will lead to you having to address fewer concerns about grades.
Setting the Weekly Resets:
1. Set the "Weekly Reset Day" and "Weekly Reset Time" by selecting and editing the corresponding fields (just under "Weekly Participation Reset Deadline"). We recommend setting the deadline at a time when few students are likely to be using Yellowdig, but in a way that coincides in an obvious way with the class. For example, if the last class of the week is in the morning on Thursday, end the Yellowdig week on Wednesday at midnight or Thursday at 3:00am so that you can discuss anything that gets posted during the last class for that week. Or, alternatively, end the Yellowdig week on Thursday at midnight so that you can remind any students that don't have their points to get them by the end of the night.
2. Set the "Point Start Date" and "Point End Date" by selecting and editing the corresponding fields. The Start and End Dates must match the Weekly Reset Day. For example, if your Weekly Reset Date is Wednesday, your Start and End Dates must both fall on a Wednesday. If the Start and End Dates don't match the Weekly Reset Date, you will receive an error message when you try to save, and you will be unable to save any changes until you make the necessary adjustments.
3. Once you've properly set your resets, scroll to the bottom of the Participation page and click the SAVE CHANGES button.