As a Yellowdig user, you can create a Community to start sharing thoughts, ideas, and content with your community. Only Network Administrators, Community Owners/Facilitators, and Community Members can create Communities within a host network. Here, we'll guide you through the process of creating new Communities from within your LMS and from outside your LMS. For instructions on how to integrate Yellowdig with your LMS and configure grade passback, see the LMS documentation.
Creating a Community (from within your LMS)
- Click on the link to Yellowdig in the Assignments tab of your Learning Management System (or wherever you placed the graded assignment link to Yellowdig during LTI integration).
- In the "Community Title" field, give a name to your Community. Your Community Title need not match the title of your LMS course.
- On the first "Create New Community" screen, select a Community from which to copy Community settings (if desired). Community settings include point settings, the participation reset deadline, and topics with point values. Community settings do not include the board start and end date or the grading start and end date.
- On the second "Create New Community" screen, select a Community from which to copy Posts and Comments (if desired). Only Posts and Comments from Community Owners and Facilitators will be copied, and you will assume ownership of those Posts and Comments upon content copying.
- On the third "Create New Community" screen, place your Community in the appropriate network within your organization. If, for example, you are creating a philosophy course, and if your institution has a Philosophy Department network, you should select "Philosophy Department" as your Community Organization. For administrative and data-quality purposes, it is important that you place your Community in the most appropriate network.
- On the next screen, be sure that your settings are accurate, and click SUBMIT. You're ready to set up your new course!
- Click on Communities in the banner at the top of the page.
- Click the CREATE COMMUNITY button on the upper-left hand side of the Communities page.
- Set the Community Permission level.
- Private Communities are accessible only by users you invite or by students enrolled in your class.
- Public Communities are accessible by anyone in your Network. They are not accessible by anyone outside your institutional Network.
- Indicate whether your Community is discoverable (i.e., searchable by all Members of your Institutional Network) from within the Discovery page.
- Assign your Community to one of the Networks of which you are a Member.
- Create a Community title.
- Click the SUBMIT button.
From there, you can invite Yellowdig users to your Community, create new Posts, edit Community settings, and so on.