1. Find your LMS Key and Secret , or request it from an Organization Administrator who belongs to your organization/department. If you do not know who to contact, please reach out to email@example.com.
Do not accept Keys and Secrets from Administrators who do not belong to your institutional or departmental Organization.
2. In your Course page, navigate to Settings → Apps. Then click on the View App Configurations button, followed by the +App button.
3. In the Add App pop-up window, choose By URL (not Manual Entry) as your configuration type, and copy-paste one of the following URLs into the "Config URL" field:
The first URL automatically adds a "Yellowdig" link to your Canvas sidebar. If you choose this option, and if you're using Yellowdig to pass back a grade, make sure that your students enter your Yellowdig Community through the Assignments link at least once during the life of your Community in order to establish grade passback.
The second URL hides the "Yellowdig" sidebar link by default. This helps ensure that all your students navigate to Yellowdig through the Assignments link at the start of the course. If at any point during your course you want to enable Yellowdig in the sidebar, it's very easy to do so.
4. Fill in the rest of the fields as follows using your Config URL of choice:
5. Finally, click the Submit button.
1. Navigate to Assignments and click the +Assignment button. Create only one Assignment for Yellowdig.
2. Give it a Name (e.g., "Yellowdig Conversations"). This will appear as a column name in your Canvas gradebook.
3. Set the Points for Yellowdig in line with your grade breakdown. For example, if Yellowdig is worth 10% of your final course grade, and there are 1000 possible points for the course, allocate 100 points to Yellowdig. If Yellowdig is an ungraded element of your course, allocate 0 points to Yellowdig or select "Do not count this assignment toward the final grade". For more on how grade passback works, see the Knowledge Base article.
4. Select "External Tool" from the Submission Type drop down menu. Enter https://api.yellowdig.app/launch as the External Tool URL. To accommodate iOS, Safari, and incognito browser users—for whom opening Yellowdig in an iFrame may be impossible—we strongly recommend checking "Load This Tool in a New Tab". If you do not check this box, it may be impossible for students to launch into Yellowdig via their preferred browser.
The steps above are summarized below:
5. Click the Save and Publish button.
1. Click the Assignment link that you've just created, which will launch Yellowdig and prompt you to create your Community for the class. Since the first user to click the link is automatically made the Community Owner, it is important that you click the Assignment link and set up your Community before your students can access it.
2. To establish grade passback, you and each of your students must launch into Yellowdig through the one graded Assignment link that you created. If you have a sidebar link to Yellowdig, that link will not establish grade passback. Be sure to communicate this to your students directly and/or direct them to this help article.
In Canvas, the default sidebar link to Yellowdig is an external tool link, not a graded assignment link. Because of this, students who launch into Yellowdig only through the default sidebar link will not receive a grade for Yellowdig in their gradebook. It is possible, however, to create a sidebar link that redirects users to the graded assignment link, thereby indirectly forging a grade passback connection. (We are indebted to Lisa Gordis of Barnard College for developing this workaround.)
1. Hide the original sidebar link by going to Settings → Navigation. Then, click the vertical ellipsis icon next to Yellowdig. (Your menu item might have a slightly different name.). Then, click Disable.
2. Go to the Assignments page. Right-click your Yellowdig assignment and select "Copy Link Address" (or the equivalent command in Windows/Linux).
3. Install the Redirect Tool, an external app developed by Canvas. To do this, go to the Apps tab of the Settings page and search "redirect tool". Click on the box with the arrow icon, and then click +Add App.
4. A modal window should now appear. Under Name, insert "Yellowdig". Under URL Redirect, paste the URL that you copied during Step 2. Finally, put a checkmark next to "Show in Course Navigation".
5. Click on any link on the left-hand menu. An option for Yellowdig option should now appear in the left-hand menu. Click on Yellowdig, then click "Load Yellowdig in a new window". Students who click this link will successfully activate grade passback for themselves.
How to enable Yellowdig in the Sidebar (optional)
Simply navigate to Settings → Navigation, enable the "Yellowdig" item, and click the Save button: