Creating Your Community
- Find a suitable network in which to create your community. For suitability criteria, see our Co-Curricular Best Practices and Design Principles for Co-Curricular Networks.
- Create your community inside your chosen network. If you have the permissions to do so for your current network, you will have a "Create Community" button inside your "My Communities" area. This can also be done in the Communities area of the network settings at the top-left. Set Community Permission Level and Discoverability settings in accordance with your preferences and the extent to which you want the community to be visible and/or easily entered by other members of the network.
- Either (a) Select the Invite button on the homepage of your Community to email invite specific people, or (b) click Share in the left-hand navigation to get an invite link.
- If you decide to invite by email and click invite, you will then enter each person's email address in the dialog box. Use commas to separate email addresses. Then click Send Invitations.
- If you decide to invite new members via link sharing, customize your link in the corresponding field, or stick with our randomized link. Then click the Add link button. Finally, copy the link and share it with those you want to invite however you'd like: via your organizations messaging app, via a campus group email list, via a Tweet, etc. Upon clicking the link, the invitees will be prompted to create a Yellowdig account (if they don't already have one) and sent to your community.
- Though community members can always be removed by community owners or facilitators, anyone with access to your sharable link can join your community. Therefore, you should be judicious about link sharing, and be especially cautious about sharing links to curricular communities. You can disable any invitation link you've created at any time by unchecking Enabled. When Enabled is unchecked, new users will not gain access to your community by clicking on the link.
How Members Join (by Email Invitation)
- Invited members will receive one or two emails in their inbox inviting them to join your community and/or co-curricular network.
- The order in which invitations are accepted does not matter. Once they accept one invitation, they can accept the other invitation from within the platform.
- If they don't already have a Yellowdig account, they will be prompted to create one. If they already have a Yellowdig account, they must be logged into the platform to accept your invitation(s).
- Upon clicking the invitation link in the email, invitees will be prompted to accept or reject your invitation(s).
- Once they've accepted your invitation(s), they will be allowed to go to your community straightaway.