Yellowdig's user account creation system was carefully designed to ensure security, flexibility, and persistence. As both an LTI tool and a free-standing web application, Yellowdig occupies a unique place in an institution's suite of educational technologies. While account creation might seem mundane, it plays a crucial role in ensuring that students remain securely connected to each other regardless of the devices they use to access Yellowdig; the Learning Management System(s) with which Yellowdig is integrated; and whether they're a newly accepted student, a fully or partially matriculated student, or an alumnus.
Account Creation at a Glance
A user who doesn't already have a Yellowdig account will trigger the account creation process by performing any of these actions:
- Launching into an LTI-integrated Yellowdig Community from their Learning Management System course.
- Accepting an email invitation to a Network or Community.
- Following a Share Link to a Community.
Yellowdig's account creation process might be a bit more complex than you would expect. This is for good reason. Unlike many other platforms, Yellowdig is deeply committed to protecting students' data while simultaneously ensuring maximal flexibility and persistent platform access. Here's how Yellowdig's account creation flow accomplishes this:
- Security. To add LTI credentials to an existing Yellowdig account, users must verify their email address. This prevents users from associating a dummy email with their LMS account and using this email to launch into someone else's Yellowdig account. Moreover, this allows users to safely launch into Yellowdig from their LMS without supplying a Yellowdig password.
- Flexibility. Users can launch into Yellowdig inside and outside of their Learning Management System. Logging into Yellowdig outside of the LMS is preferable for students who access Yellowdig via phones or tablets. Moreover, users can access their Yellowdig account from multiple Learning Management Systems or from different SSO portals your institution may be using. For institutions who are transitioning from one LMS to another, this feature is essential for ensuring duplicate accounts are not created.
- Persistence. Because they can access Yellowdig outside of their institutional LMS and manage their verified emails, students can easily access their Yellowdig accounts before matriculation and after graduation. This is particularly useful for keep-warm initiatives, alumni programs, and co-curricular communities. Yellowdig is a persistent, multi-purpose network of communities that accompanies students throughout their learning journey and these account flows ensure uninterrupted access to their Yellowdig identity.
Account Creation: A Detailed Look
 Creation via LMS course launch
If the user launches into Yellowdig through the Learning Management System, they will move the following series of screens. (The shell varies depending on the LMS.)
Users will have the ability to set a custom username. Yellowdig automatically fills the First Name and Last Name fields with the names associated with the user's LMS account, though the user can change these fields. Yellowdig automatically receives, saves, and verifies the email associated with the user's LMS account, though students will have the ability to add additional emails on a later screen. Users can also add a profile photo by clicking on the silhouette icon in the upper-left hand corner of the window.
To ensure that they always have access to their Yellowdig account regardless of LMS or platform, users are required to set a password. Once the password has been set, users will not be required to provide it when they launch into their Community via their Learning Management System. They will only be prompted when they log into Yellowdig outside of their LMS (via yellowdig.app/login).
For security reasons, users will not be able to submit the form unless their password is sufficiently secure. To increase password security, use a mix of upper- and lower-case alphanumeric characters and symbols.
On the next screen, users can add multiple emails to their account:
Adding an email will send a verification email to the added email account. Users must verify that they own added email address before using it to log into the platform.
Upon clicking NEXT, the user will launch directly into the Community. Any subsequent launch from the same institutions LMS into Yellowdig will take the learner directly to the community for the associated course (i.e., account creation happens only one time).
 Creation via e-mail invitation
This account creation process, which is designed primarily for co-curricular and alumni use cases, is comparatively simple. Users can customize their username, change their email address, and create a password. Upon clicking SUBMIT, they will be placed into the Network or Community to which they were invited.
 Creation via Share Link
Users who click the Share Link will have the option to log into their account (if they already have one) or create a new account. Upon clicking CREATE ACCOUNT, users will be redirected to the "Create Account" window described in the section above.
How LMS Credentials Are Added to Your Yellowdig User Account
For essential security reasons, Yellowdig users are required to verify their email address when:
- They create a Yellowdig account via (2) or (3), then attempt to launch into Yellowdig via their Learning Management System; or
- They create a Yellowdig account via (1), then attempt to launch into Yellowdig via a different Learning Management System.
This feature was designed to prevent users from deliberately or accidentally launching into someone else's Yellowdig account. The user can verify their identity by providing their Yellowdig password or receiving a verification email and clicking the verification link.