Audiences are collections of Community Members. If your Community contains groups, each group is an audience, and the collection of all Community Members is itself an audience. If your Community does not contain groups, the collection of all Community Members is your Community's one-and-only audience.
Depending on your group settings, students can select the audience for their posts. They can choose to post to their own group, or they can post to the entire Community. Community Owners and Facilitators can post to any group in their Community regardless of group settings.
The relationship between audiences and group settings is summarized in the table below. Note that Public Visibility and Group-only posting can be ON or OFF at the same time. Moreover, Public Visibility can be ON while Group-only posting is OFF, and vice-versa.
How to select an audience for your post
- If groups are enabled, you will see a drop-down selector just below the lower-left hand corner of the post editor. If groups are disabled, students will not see this selector; instead, the entire Community will be the audience for every post. If groups are enabled and group-only posting is ON, you will see the selector, but your students will not; instead, each student's group will be the audience for each of their posts.
- Choose the audience to which you want to post. If the entire Community is your desired audience, leave it on All Members. If you accidentally choose a group, click the trash can icon to restore your audience to All Members.
- When you're done writing, click POST.
- If the audience is a group, you'll see the name of the group just above the upper-right hand corner of the post body. To filter posts by that group name, click on the name.
How to change the audience for your post
- Click on the ellipsis (...) icon in the upper-right hand corner of the post whose audience you wish to change. Then, in the drop-down menu, click Edit.
- In the drop-down selector just below the lower-left hand corner of the post editor, choose the audience with whom you want to share your post. If the entire Community is your desired audience, click the trash can icon.
- When you're done editing, click UPDATE.